enter image description here

I have a flip-flop hub on a single speed track bike. I need to replace the rear sprocket (freewheel side) and chain.

Id prefer to give this a go myself, but

  1. Not sure what tools I need to remove this
  2. Not sure what freewheel I would need to order to replace it with.
    (ideally a similar or upgrade. + points for links to sites like Evans/ChainReactionCycles)
  • 2
    One thing for sure - you need to claen it :)
    – Papuass
    Commented May 26, 2011 at 10:09
  • Don't forget some kind of penetrating lube. Solvent-based chain lube or WD-40. Otherwise you have a good chance of shearing the teeth off your new removal tool.
    – Мסž
    Commented May 26, 2011 at 21:30

1 Answer 1


That will be a BMX freewheel tool you will be needing. Order a BMX style freewheel, count the teeth or get one with less/more teeth depending on how you want to be pedalling - higher cadence will need more teeth.

If you have access to a big vice then you can put the freewheel removal tool in that. Otherwise a really big adjustable spanner from some pound-shop will do nicely.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.