I have a Hybrid that uses v-brakes:

enter image description here

The brake pad has an attached threaded post and to change the pads I have to change the whole unit.

Can I change the pad/post unit to a cartridge type used on road bikes?

Maybe not this specific one, but similar:

or is the adjustment done in a different way? I know the whole pad/post ones have domed washers for adjustment.

  • There is plenty of brand(kool stop,etc) selling brake pad housing/holders. Most of it just use a small clip pin to hold the pad in place. You must look for V-Brake holders, as the brake holder shown in your diagram just too short to be fixed on vbrake.
    – mootmoot
    Aug 15, 2016 at 14:41
  • Bare in mind that, don't expect compatibility of replacement pad from different brand.
    – mootmoot
    Aug 15, 2016 at 14:45

1 Answer 1


There are plenty of cartridge pads for MTB v-brakes.
For example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cartridge-V-Brake-Pads-with-Titanium-Finish-for-Shimano-XTR-XT-SRAM-9-0-Avid-/200719390579?hash=item2ebbced773:g:auQAAOSwJSJXGDxZ .

  • Ah! They look a lot closer to what I need. The ones I found on wiggle didn't seem to have the same post / washer arrangement. Thanks Aug 15, 2016 at 9:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.