I have a tube with schrader valve, for which I want to buy a pressure gauge. Is there a specific type of nozzle for different types of valves?

How many types of such nozzles are available for different type of valves?

Are these nozzle types compatible with different type of valves?

e.g. is Schrader type nozzle compatible with presta type valve?

  • Any standard gauge you buy at an auto parts supplier will fit a Schrader valve. A Presta gauge would be a specialty item you'd have to buy from a bike parts supplier. However, the best approach is to have a floor pump with built-in gauge, and most of your better pumps have an "agnostic" chuck that will fit either Schrader or Presta. Commented Oct 24, 2016 at 21:09

2 Answers 2


There are Presta, and Schrader valves. There are also dunlop valves but they are far less common these days, especially in the US/UK.

Schrader and Presta are two different diameters and valve types. There are pumps that will inflate either, there are also pumps that only inflate one or the other. Many people use a pump with a built in gauge rather than carrying an independent gauge. There are however gauges that will also read both valve type, they generally have two different heads, one for each type of valve.

Such as this one:

enter image description here

One side is for Presta and one is for Schrader. A presta will not work on a schrader and vise versa.

  • Thank you. That's the answer I was looking for. I think I will rather go with a pump with an individual gauge
    – Captain
    Commented Oct 25, 2016 at 16:49

In addition to a dual nozzle, its possible to use an adapter on may Schrader pressure guages - most bikes have them for a couple of dollars.

enter image description here

  • If you have presta valves, one of these should be in your on-bike toolkit. Even if you carry the right pump/inflater.
    – Criggie
    Commented Oct 24, 2016 at 21:09
  • But note that they work poorly at best, so they should not be your "first line of defense". Commented Oct 24, 2016 at 21:10
  • I had once tried such adapter with a Dunlop valve, commonly available in India. The air was leaking through it.
    – Captain
    Commented Oct 25, 2016 at 16:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.