I've got a '70s-era Motobécane road bike which doesn't have any actual eyelets brazed on for guiding shift cables but instead has a strange chromed "bracket" which attaches onto the down tube with a screw and washer which has two small guides for keeping the shift cables in place (highlighted in green):

Down tube with unknown "bracket" for guiding shift cables

What on Earth is this thing called? — I've never seen something like this before.

Actually, it's a Motoconfort, but I still haven't been able to discern any real differences between the two marques despite trying my best to do so.

  • 1
    I would think it's just another version of a cable stop, they still make aftermarket ones for frames without braze-ons, that just looks to be an older outdated version, so i would call it a cable stop. But i am curious to see if there is an official name for this type.
    – Nate W
    Jan 16, 2017 at 23:45
  • I would call it a clamp-on cable stop, or a band-on cable stop. This differentiates it from a braze-on cable stop which would require cutting to remove from the frame.
    – Criggie
    Jan 17, 2017 at 1:31

1 Answer 1


Several on line searches for "cable stops" have yielded numerous results so I guess the term is universal. They are available in single, double and triple cable models. Another variation is a "cable clamp", it function is to attach the cable housing to the frame. You will need to measure the frame tube diameter to get a clamp that will fit the frame.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.