Why do we call bicycle seats saddles and why is it a seatpost not a saddlepost? Asking for a friend.

Bicycle parts

  • 2
    Well, I call it a "seat". And those chain-handling thingies are "derailers". Feb 20, 2017 at 19:26
  • Silly French words leaking everywhere. Mech is easier to spell correctly.
    – Criggie
    Feb 20, 2017 at 19:32
  • 2
    The french word for bicycle seat is "Siège de bicyclette" and saddle is "Selle de vélo" - so I don't think we can blame the french for saddles. Maybe the British? It's a conspiracy from the darn Brooks company?
    – RoboKaren
    Feb 20, 2017 at 19:36
  • Unclear what you're asking. The question in the title is different to the body.
    – andy256
    Feb 20, 2017 at 22:05
  • I could have put quote marks around the saddle and seatpost in the title but it'd make it hard to read.
    – RoboKaren
    Feb 20, 2017 at 22:15

1 Answer 1


Like most things in English language, established convention. According to Google N-grams, "saddle post" along with "seat post" was used until 1950s, after which "seat post" became dominant.

  • What an interesting way to answer the question! Thanks!
    – rclocher3
    Feb 21, 2017 at 2:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.