Please help me to identify this part. The pictures show rear wheel.

Picture 1 Picture 2

UPD: It is more like an adaptor to connect to the bicycle.

  • Is it even "a part"? It looks like it's just a piece of decorative trim on the gear mechanism. Jun 5, 2017 at 7:38
  • 2
    If you open the screw visible in the bottom picture, I believe you can pull away the gear-changing mechanism and the plastic part will stay attached to the hub. It belongs to the pin that is actuated to change gears in the hub. Jun 5, 2017 at 7:49
  • 19
    OMG oil your chain
    – paparazzo
    Jun 5, 2017 at 9:27
  • 1
    I'd call it the "adjustment indicator" and you view it through a window or viewport. Setting the cable tension right should result in the indicator (triangle or arrowhead) being between two lines in/on the window.
    – Criggie
    Jun 5, 2017 at 10:51
  • 2
    Its very unlikely to be a part you can order directly. More probably you'd need the whole unit. Or find/buy a donor bike and scavenge parts from it.
    – Criggie
    Jun 5, 2017 at 10:52

3 Answers 3


I believe the plastic part is similar to the one identified by number 21/22 in the diagram below. I don't have a name for it, though. I am also not suggesting that this is the exact model that is on this bike but I believe it is the same principle.

enter image description here

  • Was there a numbered part list for this diagram? It would be a great addition to the answer.
    – David D
    Mar 20 at 13:42

It seems the manufacturer doesn't have a name for it either because it is sold as part of a three-piece set which is named only after the other two parts: https://www.kurbelix.de/sram-s7-nabenschaltung-schaltstift-roehrchen-set Hence we in our workshop call it "Roter Schniffuz". Schniffuz is a German very generic colloquial term for a small thing.

Three piece set of hub gear equipment: red schniffuz, tube, stick

(Legal side question: is posting a screenshot from a online shop here OK?)

  • 1
    Good find - yeah screenshots are fine, you've got a link to the source page, so if the website vanishes or reorganises in the future then later readers will have some information to go on, which is more useful than a dead link. (useful) screenshots are a good idea.
    – Criggie
    Mar 13 at 2:22
  • 1
    @Criggie I am aware of the link rot problem. I was just not sure if the online shop minds for some legal reasons.
    – flukx
    Mar 17 at 21:45
  • 1
    Good point - the shops don't care, they'd prefer to get more customers. What you've done by answering the question helps the OP now, and the additional info helps a reader in the future. Keep up the good work !
    – Criggie
    Mar 17 at 21:48

This red part can be found under the following names:

  1. Red fixing socket for SRAM S7 and P5 speed hubs
  2. SRAM ClickBox connection Sleeve.
  • I believe it is technically called the locating sleeve but that is splitting hairs. :)
    – Nate W
    Mar 21 at 14:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.