This morning I was following another cyclist in the traffic. He had a road bike with v-brakes. And the brake had a strange cable mount, and I can not realize what is this and what it is for. Had no luck googling it (since I don't know what to google), so here's the image: enter image description here What is this red thing?

1 Answer 1


They're called Travel Agents and are used to change the cable pull of a brake lever so you can mix and match brake styles.

  • Thanks for the answer and the link - there's lots of interesting stuff
    – k102
    Jul 7, 2017 at 11:13
  • This is a more detailed explanation on how they work.
    – Batman
    Jul 7, 2017 at 11:39
  • It's pretty simple, one cable along the small wheel and one along the big wheel. Then it's simple lever action to explain the effect on the brake pull. Jul 7, 2017 at 11:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.