I don't see it. The place where it should be seems to be part of the frame. If not, why not?

enter image description here

  • 3
    The derailleur "hangs" below the axle/quick release. The piece of frame that hangs the derailleur below the axle is called the "derailleur hanger". On aluminum/carbon frames this is a detachable/replaceable piece, on steel frames (such as yours) it is part of the frame (as it can be bent back into place).
    – Rider_X
    Sep 11, 2017 at 19:33
  • 2
    Just a note on the side: The bolt above the quick-release nut isn't properly tightened!
    – Carel
    Sep 12, 2017 at 8:07

1 Answer 1


The hanger is part of the frame in this case. This is a pretty common design, though many newer frames will have the hanger as a removable part of the frame that can be replaced if damaged. In the case of your bike, if there is damage, you have to (carefully) bend it back to shape.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.