So contacted a bike restoration place for a quote to respray my BSA, the guy asked me do I want 'coach lines'. Too embarrassed to ask what they were I just said yes.

So what are they exactly?

  • Seems kinda ridiculous to be afraid to ask what they were.
    – Batman
    Sep 21 '17 at 17:44
  • 3
    Another technique when confronted by an expert's question is to ask "what would you do?" They have opinions, and you have an end goal. Talk it over to see which is most acceptable to you.
    – Criggie
    Sep 21 '17 at 20:45

Coach lines (stripes) are a type of thin stripes you saw on (typically British) cars. They were a hallmark on high end cars like Rolls Royces.

See this image from from this article:

enter image description here

The coach lines are the lines under the guy's hand.

See also the wikipedia article on Pinstripes.

My guess is that this bike may have had some sort of pin striping.

  • 1
    Usually done by hand by dragging a very long (5-8cm) and very thin, fine-haired brush handle first along the intended line. A highly specialized job!
    – Carel
    Sep 22 '17 at 10:39
  • @Carel - well, the ones on fancy cars. On cheaper cars (which don't have to be cheap; Jags for example), they were imitated by just using tape.
    – Batman
    Sep 22 '17 at 16:04
  • That's the cheating way to do it. Anyway, craftspeople that could do the job can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand. And the job would carry a hefty price tag.
    – Carel
    Sep 23 '17 at 16:53
  • The traditional way is also freehand. I doubt a shop will be doing it the traditional way on a bicycle. If you’re into the aesthetic and the price is reasonable , go for it; at a distance anyway nobody’s going to be able to tell how they painted the line.
    – Batman
    Sep 24 '17 at 21:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.