I noticed the mechanic at my LBS used a tool to smooth out and bevel the end of the steering tube after cutting it. It looks like a useful tool to smooth out the edge of bar ends as well. It's round and has a cone inside, what is it called? I don't have a picture unfortunately.

  • 2
    Do you mean a tubing reamer? homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/d2/… Sep 24 '17 at 22:48
  • @DanielRHicks The one in the picture is exactly right! Do you know if there is a tool like that made specifically for bike tubes? Sep 24 '17 at 22:51
  • Go to your local Menards or Home Despot and see if what they have looks like it would work. Sep 25 '17 at 1:34
  • 1
    Can I suggest tweaking the question? I read it as meaning the tool to cut a corner off the bars for lock-on grips, whereas you're after a reburring tool for a flat straight cut.
    – Criggie
    Sep 25 '17 at 5:35
  • 1
    If it's just for bar ends run a half-round file without pressure around the inner edge followed by fine sanding paper.
    – Carel
    Sep 25 '17 at 7:49

When the tubing is cut the cutting tool leaves a ridge in the inside of the tube. A reamer removes this rough edge or burr. It is hard to say if your mechanic used a bicycle specific reamer which may be part of a bearing facing tool or a generic deburring tool.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.