I found this thing in a box of bicycle tool mix I got some time ago. In the end this was the only one I could not identify, so I am asking here: What is this thing and what is it used for, please? I think it might be somehow used to manipulate with the cables. But since I do not know the name of the tool, I can’t look up for more info

Unknown tool



That's a spoke wrench, for turning spoke nipples. The benefit of this design is that, as opposed to the kind with an arm coming out each side of a central body, the force from your fingers is spread over the faces of the disk, meaning you can apply more force and it hurts less.

I'm not certain, because I haven't used it, but it also seems like it would be easier to keep your grip on the wrench; the other kind is prone to being fumbled and dropped as you turn it (at least when I'm the one turning it, it is).

Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/KLICKfix-Rixen-Kaul-SPOKEY-professional/dp/B003ZRWA4Y/

| improve this answer | |
  • 5
    A word of caution: It's not a one for all tool as spoke nipples come in different sizes and the tool has to be the correct size if you don't want to damage the nipples. – Carel Nov 26 '17 at 17:50
  • 2
    I would like to add that it is not so simple to tighten spokes. Care must be taken as you can offset the rim and/or make it worse. – Tempus Nov 27 '17 at 2:02
  • 3
    @Tempus: Actually, tightening the spokes is the easy part. The tricky part is to do it in a way that the wheel stays true :-). This is called "truing" (or "adjustment"). – sleske Nov 27 '17 at 8:28
  • 2
    A fairly trivial point, but I rather like the more alliterative name spoke spanner. – PJTraill Nov 27 '17 at 18:06
  • 1
    Yet another alternative name is a spoke key. – Ian Cook Nov 29 '17 at 22:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.