I have a Psycle Werks downhill-bike and the derailleur got bent and cracked I need it to get replaced does anyone know or have any suggestions on where I can get a new one or what I should do?

  • 3
    Well, aren't there other derailleurs compatible with your drivetrain? Unless your bicycle is from 1800's I doubt there are no replacement parts available. As for gears number, if you can count to ten you can find this number out by looking at your cassette. Feb 7, 2018 at 4:57
  • 3
    You need a better bike shop. Don’t go to the bike department of your supermarket, go to a real bike shop.
    – RoboKaren
    Feb 7, 2018 at 6:12
  • 1
    @DetriDunn if you can't figure out how many gears you have, take two clear and well-lit photos, and edit them into your question. One of the cassette from the back, and one of the derailleur from the right-hand side of the bike.
    – Criggie
    Feb 7, 2018 at 10:32
  • 2
    At the least we can inform the OP about what derailleurs would be compatible, so they are armed with some knowledge when dealing with repair shops. Or perhaps they can source an appropriate derailleur themselves and have a repair shop install it. Feb 7, 2018 at 16:58
  • 1
    That sounds reasonable, Argenti. Thanks for clarifying your rationale, I agree. I do think that most shops will want to install their own derailleur and not one bought off the internet -- partly because of the additional profit but also because there's a possibility it won't fit or that the new part is broken and it's much easier to deal with the shop's own vendor than it is to tell the customer that they got the wrong part or the part they got is broken. So many shops will charge additional labor for outside-bought parts or subsidize their own labor costs when they install their own parts.
    – RoboKaren
    Feb 7, 2018 at 17:51

1 Answer 1


Let's say that your new derailleur is dependent on the number of gears you have on the back and sometimes brand dependent. SRAM and Shimano, have (they used to have at least) different pull ratios and/or inverted numbers (which is not a problem, only a funny fact), so this are the first thing to check out.

Then as you said you do DH, so you need in my opinion a short, or medium length derailleur; so it doesn't bounce that much and also to have a little more clearance for obstacles.

That said there are some derailleurs that have clutch systems so the cage won't move as you hit bumps and obstacles, for a more consistent pedaling.

If you have the money go for a Shimano Saint, Hone or SLX. Then again if you don't have it, go for a Shimano XT 98. If you have a small ratio transmission in the back (tooth count doesn't differ that much from gear to gear) you can get a away with a derailleur made for road bike, small and light.

PS: You can get your old derailleur straight with the use of two french-wrenches (crescent wrench), one to set the direction to bend and the other to apply force to the first one.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.