I bought this new pump, but i think I made a mistake.

I need it for my road bikes, with presta valves. I don't understand how I connect the pump to the presta.

Is it even possible? do I need an adapter?


4 Answers 4


It is for adjusting the suspension on a medium to high-end mountain bike (fork), hence the lack of 'Presta' option.

Since you will be returning it, to keep the shop happy and get what you really need, consider getting:

  1. A track pump with gauge and aluminium body. Look for one with a well engineered head that does Presta and Shrader valves. The easiest ones to use have a lever that you fold out to get a snug fit.

  2. For the road, carry an affordable, light mini-pump with as few movable parts as possible. The deluxe mini-pumps with dual-action, fancy gauges and other features have a tendency to rattle apart, rendering them useless when you need it.

Keep it simple is what you want with a mini-pump, it only has to get you home and you hopefully will have a proper track pump with gauge at home.


That pump does not appear to be intended for use with tires. Return it and buy an appropriate pump.

  • I feared that will be the answer :-/
    – Saariko
    Aug 3, 2011 at 16:14

Yep, it appears to be what it says (though not very clearly) -- a "shock pump", intended for pumping up shocks in bike suspensions, not for pumping up tires.

And, frankly, I've never seen a "mini" pump that could do even a halfway decent job of pumping up high pressure tires. You need a full-sized frame pump to do it reasonably well.


As stated, return the Pocket Shock since the intended function is for shocks. Look into the Topeak Race Rocket HP for a compact road pump.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.