What is the proper name for this type of brake pad?


enter image description here

enter image description here

  • The distinguishing point is that it is a rim brake pad with a female-threaded insert to accept a male screw, vs the usual male stud. I've seen these on a few high-end bikes, and they are a PITA to find replacements for (when digging around in our buckets of used parts). – Daniel R Hicks May 14 '18 at 17:23
  • 1
    These are standard on road bikes since at least 90s and widely available in bike shops. – ojs May 14 '18 at 17:43

It's a rim brake pad for road bikes, with separate holder and rubber insert, Shimano/SRAM style.

  • Thanks for that - is there a type/brand you would recommend? – Kim May 14 '18 at 17:40
  • In my experience Kool Stop Salmon and the cheapest basic Jagwire have been good. The rubber insert is replaceable, you don't need to replace the holder. – ojs May 14 '18 at 17:43
  • Thanks for that - exactly the type I'm after! Now to find them in the UK! – Kim May 14 '18 at 17:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.