I'm hoping some pitlock users out there can help me out. I've installed these on a pair of new bikes to add some protection for some expensive wheels. They seem to be a decent deterrent. My problem is that I can't seem to remove them without splitting the thin, notched spring washers that sit beneath the pit nut (and engage its grooves).
I've been super careful to press in on the socket/pit when loosening to try to depress those sprung notches. I've also got the hardware on correctly (nylon washer, etc.).
I've seen no internet trail of failure for these things, so my assumption is that I'm the problem, but I've busted 3 now despite trying pretty hard not to, and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've watched Pitlock's YouTube videos of install/removal, and they're pressing the same way I was during removal (thumb on socket, fingers behind stay, squeeze in, and rotate with tool). Doesn't look like they're cranking that hard.
I have installed about the same as they do and explain in the instructions (finger tighten, then 1 to 1 1/2 turns with a lever/tool). I don't think I've overtightened them, and in the last couple of re-installs (with the partially wrecked washers, since replacements haven't arrived yet) I've been erring on the side of a bit looser yet.