When I look at ultra-endurance races, for example, https://www.transcontinental.cc/ I always think two things:
- Wow! I want to do this
- This is ideal for a recumbent bike!
So, I wonder: Would this be allowed? I kind of assume there is no rule forbidding it so: Why is not everyone doing this? Recumbents are a lot more comfortable for long distance and at least in the flat they are a lot faster, too.
Rules for the transcontinental:
- Ride from start to finish via controls listed here
- No third party support, resupply or lodgings
- No drafting (other than with pairs partner)
- All forward travel must be self powered
- Travel by ferries only by approved routes
- All riders must maintain evidence of their ride
- Inactive for 2+ days without contact = scratch
- No insurance, no helmet, no lights = scratch
- Riders must know and obey local traffic laws
- Ride in the spirit of self reliance & equal opportunity