I am considering buying a new bike and have two models in mind. One features hydraulic rim brakes from Magura and the other has hydraulic disk brakes. Despite searching on the Internet and asking bike repair stores, I haven't found much information about pros and cons of one type compared to the other.
The common points I am aware of:
- very good braking power
- relatively hard to service yourself, almost impossible while on the road
The differences I am aware of:
- I guess that hydraulic rim brakes are more sensitive to rain/mud/etc. (although I am not even sure, given the huge amount of pressure applied)
- It's easier to remove your wheel with Magura rim brakes (in case of puncture for instance).
Some more specific questions:
- Does the braking feel similar with both kinds?
- Ease of service?
- Ease of finding spare parts in remote places?
- Difference in braking power?
I'm looking for general differences but a bit of context might help: the bike will be used for commuting and randonneuring, so mostly on roads and sometimes on gravel paths.