You know that slanted metal thing on the bottom of the fork steerer that can slide around? Like, the diagonal cut thing at the end that you insert into the hole when you assemble a bicycle? What is that part called, and what is its function?

  • 1
    Sounds like wedge from threaded stem, and you really shouldn't have one unless it's part of the stem
    – ojs
    Commented Aug 12, 2018 at 7:27
  • 2
    A photo would help, but @ojs comment sounds reasonable. A wedge shouldn't slide around unless you totally unscrewed it, at which point it would drop out the bottom onto the top of the tyre or maybe catch on a rim-brake mounting bolt.
    – Criggie
    Commented Aug 12, 2018 at 10:59

1 Answer 1


I think by steerer you mean a quill type stem

quill stems

The diagonal cut part is a wedge. It's pulled up by a long bolt that runs down the stem and locks the stem in the fork steerer tube.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.