I have classic sturmy archer 3 speed trigger with a snapped cable. Unfortunaly, these aparently need special cables (endings) http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/classic-trigger

Do I need to replace the cable exactly with such one again (It's really expensive by now for a simple cable) or is there a fitting alternative or trick to avoid spending 50$ for a simple unprotected steel cable? Does anyone have any experience with that?

1 Answer 1


If I was on a budget I'd go for the combination of the following two products (I'm not affiliated with this particular webshop):

Elvedes: 6451-3M - derailleur cable, €1.15
TOM adjustment nipple Sturmey Archer - adjustment nipple, €1.25

It doesn't look as nice as the original, still remains functional.

For US customers:
Cable anchor - $4.25
The cable itself still needs to be found.

  • The Elvedes is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
    – Herr Derb
    Commented Aug 20, 2018 at 21:25
  • Article costs 1€, with shipping and customs = 60 €??!?!? I'll guess I'll look for a local vintage bicycle dealer :)
    – Herr Derb
    Commented Aug 20, 2018 at 21:41
  • @HerrDerb, what is your location? If you need my help, I can order the items (less than €5 shipping) and put in an envelope (another €10 I guess, depending on location). Or search the internet for "Sturmey Archer cable anchor".
    – Mike
    Commented Aug 21, 2018 at 5:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.