I lost my road bike's quick release. Pictured are what I lost. Do I need to find a specific quick release that fits, or does one size fit all/most?

This whole thing here is what I lost

1 Answer 1


Yep. Quick releases are standard and interchangeable.

You need to make sure you get one the right length for a front hub. Front hubs for a road bike, hybrid or older MTB will be 100mm wide.

  • 1
    There are a few cases where the lever of one type of QR will interfere with the frame or accessories on the bike, so a different style of lever is needed. But this is usually obvious when you try to use the QR and the lever keeps hitting stuff. Jan 23, 2019 at 2:30
  • @Argenti Apparatus: Since QR are usually sold in pairs it would be a good idea for OP to buy a matching pair where the second one also fits the rear, either for a short rear axle (road bike) or for a long rear axle (MTB).
    – Carel
    Jan 23, 2019 at 18:48
  • 1
    @Carel I did not research if QRs are sold individually. The OP may have to buy a set. Personally I'd buy a set as I'm OCD enough to want them to match :-) Jan 23, 2019 at 19:54
  • @DanielRHicks : If the levers interferes with other hardware it is either poorly designed or badly positioned. Position is easiest to adjust. With disk-brakes the front QR is often better at the ride side to avoid hand contact with a hot rotor.
    – Carel
    Jan 24, 2019 at 16:41
  • Some QRs may be sold individually. One bike store near me (link to follow) lists front Salsa skewers. Salsa is a Quality Bicycle Products brand. QBP is a major distributor of bike parts, and almost all bike stores should have an account with them, so the OP should be able to order his/her front skewer. Not all stores might have one black front skewer in stock, of course. freewheelbike.com/product/…
    – Weiwen Ng
    Sep 6, 2019 at 17:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.