I am riding 90s road bike with Shimano 105 dual-pivot brakes and brake levers, and 2x7 downtube shifters. Since braking becomes less and less reliable I want to replace both brakes and levers with something new.
There's a plenty of good opinions on 105 br-r7000 but I am having hard time to find matching levers. I don't think there are any compatible shiftless levers. Can I go with cheaper claris shift levers or do I need to pay for 105?
Bonus question: could I use 11 speed 105 shifters to work with 7/8 rear derailleur if I do STI conversation?
First, thanks for so many great comments. I see I have missed some important information:
- my goal is to improve braking performance - it feels underpowered and my rear brake lever has a crack already.
- I have already replaced cables, brakepads (swisstop) and my bike is running brand new wheels (frame was cold-set to 130mm)
- fit 28mm tires
From what I have found, here are some interesting brake / lever combinations:
- Shimano BL-R400 ($35, brake levers, no shifter, SuperSLR) + BR-R2000 ($50, NEW SuperSLR)
- Claris: ST-R2000 ($130, NEW SuperSLR) + BR-R2000 ($50, NEW SuperSLR)
- Claris+105: ST-R2000 ($130, NEW SuperSLR) + BR-R7000 ($75, SLR-EV)
- 105: ST-R7000 ($185, SLR-EV) + BR-R7000 ($75, SLR-EV)
- SRAM S 500 ($75 brake levers) + SRAM Rival 22 brake ($75)