I know a wheelie is when the front wheel is in the air but does it have a different name for when the back wheel is in the air?

  • On a BMX it's called a nose manual. You've tagged road-bike though, so I'm not sure what you'd call it on a road bike... I can't imagine doing it on anything other than a BMX or perhaps a trials bike. – Diado Apr 24 at 13:41
  • 9
    @Diado Anything you can do on a trials bike can be done on a road bike. – David Richerby Apr 24 at 14:16
  • 1
    Also, I removed the "road-bike" tag as I suspect it's only there because the asker couldn't find anything better. user43208, if the question was supposed to be road-bike-specific, please edit your question to mention that in the question itself, and restore the tag. Thanks! – David Richerby Apr 24 at 14:18
  • @DavidRicherby True, if you want it badly enough, I guess. I still can't imagine doing anything like that on anything but a BMX. I'm old fashioned, I suppose :) – Diado Apr 24 at 14:18
  • Technically, a wheelie is the front wheel in the air while pedaling. A manual is front wheel in the air while coasting. Hence, the "nose manual" label for the back wheel in the air. – jimchristie Apr 25 at 14:30

Rolling along balancing on the front wheel is called a "nose manual". If it's braking to a stop while balancing on the wheel it's a "stoppie". If it's braking to a stop suddenly with the rear wheel lifting and no front wheel rolling it's called an "endo".

  • 4
    Isn’t it an endo only if the rider’s center of gravity goes forward beyond the center axis of the stationary front tire while the rider has forward momentum to spare? Otherwise it could still be a stoppie. – RoboKaren Apr 24 at 15:25
  • 3
    I'm with RoboKaren. Endo is short for end-over-end. It's a crash, or as RoboKaren eloquently puts it "forward momentum to spare" – David D Apr 24 at 16:46
  • 13
    I've always seen endo used as the trick where you balance your weight over the front wheel, even 20 years ago, from many sources. It's commonly used as a dedicated move or part of other tricks like 180° pivots on the front wheel. Even if the origin is from uncontrolled spills, endo is definitely not exclusive to crashing. – Gabriel C. Apr 24 at 18:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.