What are these items in my bicycle tube repair kit for? I found them in several repair kits but I do not know what to use them for?
They can be used to temporarily repair a tyre. If you (for example) go over a stone which tears a hole in your tyre as well as your inner tube. Simply fixing the inner tube will leave it exposed so it will puncture again. Place this tyre patch in between the inner tube and the type hole. Hopefully it will last long enough to get you home...
From top to bottom, we have,
- plastic container
- tyre levers to remove the tyre
- crayon to mark the location of the puncture on the tube
- sandpaper to roughen the tube surface prior to ‘gluing’
- rubber solution to attach the patch
- tube patches with a black front and a white backing. Remove one patch from the sheet then peel off its backing before you apply.
- chalk to sprinkle over the finished patch to prevent sticking to the tyre after reinstalling
Now you know what they are you can get instructions online or in my case on the back of the tube of rubber solution
Those are blocks of various sized rubber tube patches stamped from a single larger sheet of rubber. Individual patches are torn off the block as needed.
Patches are applied over holes in the inner tube, bonded to it with de-vulcanizing solution, which causes the polymers in the rubber patch and tube to join to one another.
These are patches for inner tubes found inside the tires. Some tires are tubeless and required different patch kits.