I don’t know how old this tire is. There are small cracks along the sides. In the inside the rubber coating is stripping and peeling. Is this tire still usable? Air has been going out of my tube rapidly lately, in about a day, but I’m not sure it’s from a puncture, maybe a bad valve.
A tire's job is to (not a complete list):
- Stay attached to the rim
- Protect the tube from damage
- Contain the pressure inside the tube (this is why the pressure rating is on the tire and not the tube)
- Provide a good connection to the ground
Tubeless tires also do the job of the tube.
The tube's job is to:
- Hold air
In the drawing below you have a "Clincher" tire.
You have two different problems.
- Your tire is badly oxidized which compromises it's ability to do all four of the things listed above. You need to replace the tire.
- Your tube is leaking air. This has nothing to do with the condition of the tire. You need to find the leak and replace or repair the tube.