I am doing a 210km (130 mile) ride on Sunday. I assume it'd help me to taper but I'm not sure about the most effective method.
How much should I ride in the last 3-4 days before the ride? My current plan is:
- Wednesday: Normal 40km (24 mile) commute
- Thursday: Lunchtime ride of 20km (12 miles)
- Friday: Lunchtime ride of 20km (12 miles)
- Saturday: Rest
- Sunday: Ride
This page (which is actually related to the ride I'm doing) suggests that I'm close, but should rest on Friday and do a short ride on Saturday.
Some information about my training:
- I've done this ride before and I'm confident I can finish it, I just want to finish it as strongly/comfortably as possible.
- I've done 100km+ (60miles+) for the last 3 weekends in training, along with daily commutes
I ended up doing a slightly longer ride on Thursday, but other than that I stuck to the schedule above. I did feel more rested at the start of the Sunday and I was grateful for the day off on Saturday.
I also Carbo loaded.
Given the variables I'm not sure what helped, but I did feel strong for the ride and didn't 'bonk', which was a definite improvement over previous years.