I would like your pro advice with a bike upgrade.
Please refer for details: Specialized Hardrock Disc SE 26 (2014) Specs Why the upgrade?
- 5-year-old shifters, displays are cracked up and yellow.
- Because I keep replacing my front shift cable, I service my left shifter often. In doing so, I ground up one of the screw heads - now unserviceable.
- Rear cassette is showing signs of wear, and I plan to replace the stock 7 speed with a 9 speed cassette instead.
- Can the existing 7 speed rear derailleur, Shimano Tourney, handle a 9 speed cassette?
- Easily serviceable. Better screws than Tourney.
- A smaller display, so that wear doesn't show, unlike Tourney.
- A shifter-brake combo is preferable.
- Shimano 7 or 9 speed, trigger type.
My conception: new 3x9 shifters, new 9-speed rear cassette, same old Tourney rear derailleur.
Do you replace your front shift cable often? I shift a lot, is this why mine keeps wearing out? I'm on my 4th/5th shift cable, it shreds itself near the pinch bolt.
Please advise on the best course of action. I appreciate your help!