- Shimano deore crankset (not XT)
- The crankset has done about 10000km (6200miles).
- It is from a touring bike.
- Most of those 10000km was done with the bicycle loaded (bags on both front and back racks).
I do not notice the play while riding. I notice the play when tugging at the cranks with both hands.
When I take off the crankset, clean everything, then grease and re-install the crankset, the play is gone but comes back after about 100km (62miles). The play does not seem to get worse.
On half of the inside of the crank (non chain wheel), there are teeth marks. The teeth marks are smooth as far as I can tell.
On the axle / spindle there are similar marks on the one side but not the other side.
- Is the play indeed due to a worn out crank? (I have not got the tool to remove the bottom bracket, so I cannot test to see if it is the BB)?
- Are the markings, or rather this type of wear normal? The original crankset was a deore XT which never had play and did about 20000km (12400miles).
- When buying a new crankset, should I buy the more expensive or the less expensive? I was told expensive means light materials but quicker wear of the chain wheel, and cheap means heavy materials (metal) but the chain wheel lasts longer?