I am looking to buy some (approx 30 meter) hydraulic brake hose for general use (fixing brakes) and would like to know what size (inner diameter/outer diameter) would be most suitable for the bigger brands of brakes (Shimano, Magura, Tektro etc.)
I couldn't find a definitive answer regarding the compatibility of hoses between brands.
I've found the following sized for different brands: (ID=inner diameter, OD=outer diameter)
- Shimano (BH90) + Avid + Formula + Sram:
- ID: 2.1mm , OD: 5mm
- Shimano (BH59) + Magura MT:
- ID: 2.3mm , OD: 5mm
- ID: 2.5mm, OD: 5.4-5.5mm
Are these dimensions (ID/OD) correct? If not please correct my list of sizes
On this forum (see link at end of paragraph) it is suggested that Shimano's BH59 and BH90 hoses are compatible with each other, which confuses me since I thought the inner diameter was different, perhaps it could work when using the correct insert (the one that matches the brake hose being used), could someone please confirm? Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/bikewrench/comments/7r26uy/hydraulic_brake_hose_diameters_and/ (see answer by user "beyondfar")
- Do different product lines/products within the same brand use different diameter hoses? (other than the differences I've listed between Shimano BH90 and BH59)
- Which ID/OD hose would be the best to get for 'general use' (using the appropriate olives/inserts for each brand)?
- Does anyone know any 'hacks' to get a normally incompatible hose to work with a different brand (for example Shimano BH90 hose with Hayes brakes) ? If so please explain
- Do the other lines of magura (for example HS) use the same brake hose as the MT series?
- Are there other hose standards which i have not included in my list? If so please add them