What is this plastic part called and is it possible to get a replacement? It's commonly found on Shimano caliper brakes. I have a pair of brakes where one is missing both of these plastic bits and as a result, the brake makes creaking sounds when operated.

enter image description here

  • 2
    No idea of the name - but I routinely lost them off my vintage exage brakes. Ended up using a long block of plastic, cutting "cheese slices" off the end, and then drilling a hole with a drill press.
    – Criggie
    Commented Feb 13, 2020 at 9:44
  • Did you ever manage to source these, I’m working on a bicycle myself that has an Exage brake set, and one of these little black sleeves is broken...
    – Roomiccube
    Commented Sep 26, 2020 at 8:31

1 Answer 1


With the information provided by Criggie's comment I was able to find an exploded diagram of the Shimano Exage brake with a part list.

That part is called (descriptively) a "Sleeve". It's part number 83E 0900 enter image description here

enter image description here

Searching for the part number reveals that Shimano uses that same part number on several different brakes.

I asked The Google as nicely as I could but found no replacement sleeves or brake rebuild kits available.
You are looking at:

  1. Making your own per Criggie's comment
  2. Scavenging sleeves from another caliper
  3. Replacing the caliper
  4. Living with the creaking sound
  5. Duct tape?
  • 2
    A small piece of brake cable outer housing might slip over the spring and be held in place by the spring tension.
    – mikes
    Commented Feb 14, 2020 at 0:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.