During a crash I have bent my adjustment knob on Sram Code brakes and now after bleeding the lever is a bit too far away for my liking. The knob is bent and can't be turned. If I'll reduce the pressure in the system will it do the same as turning the knob out to make the lever closer? If so, is there any recommended procedure to reduce the amount of brake fluid in the system?

  • Sounds like your brake lever needs replacing ? – Criggie Mar 23 '20 at 22:27
  • Yep, looks like that. I'll try to bend the knob with pliers and if this doesn't work I'll check if somebody around me has a spare Sram Guide/Code brake. – J-unior Mar 24 '20 at 8:25
  • 1
    Can't you just replace the lever separately and leave the piston-reservoir assembly in place, the way it is done on motorcycles? – Carel Mar 24 '20 at 8:27
  • 2
    @Carel sure you can, the levers could be bought separately. But they costs 2/3 of the brake anyway, so second hand brake as a donor is the best option in this case. – J-unior Mar 24 '20 at 8:29
  • 1
    @J-unior: There are levers where the screw that dials the distance from the handle bar is part of the lever. But that may well not be a feature of your item. Check for after market products maybe. – Carel Mar 24 '20 at 16:03

You cannot reduce the amount of fluid in the working part of hydraulic brakes. The reason is that hydraulic brake systems automatically draw fluid from the reservoir to compensate for brake pad wear and gradual advancement of the caliper pistons.

The way this works is when the levers are at their 'at rest' position the reservoir is connected to the rest of the system allowing fluid to be drawn in. The first part of the travel of the piston connected to the lever cuts off the reservoir and allows the caliper pistons to be pushed out to apply the pads against the rotor. This is also why you can push the caliper pistons back in when replacing pads.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.