Can we make changes in flywheel so that cycle can move back upon pedaling back?

  • 1
    Could you expand on why you want to do this? Are you making a hockey bike or a trick bike? Do you intend on riding this on the road ?
    – Criggie
    May 21, 2020 at 1:43
  • Also see bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/18815/…
    – Criggie
    May 21, 2020 at 1:44
  • 10
    It's known as a "fixie". You can buy them new, buy a new "track" wheel, or dink with the rear hub to make one. May 21, 2020 at 1:47
  • (Note that you need to tighten the chain of a derailer style bike, and may need to install a "chain tensioner".) May 21, 2020 at 1:49
  • 2
    Also, chain tensioners don't work with fixed gear.
    – ojs
    May 21, 2020 at 11:07

1 Answer 1


That is possible, track bicycles are designed to work like that, that's called a fixed gear drive train. It depends on the style of free wheel already installed on your bike. The free wheel is the mechanism on the rear wheel that engages when you pedal forward and disengages when you pedal backward. You will likely need to remove your free wheel and install a cog and lock ring, or replace the wheel with one that can be set up with a fixed gear. You will not be able to use a rear derailleur without a free wheel. When i was a kid in the early eighties I converted all my bikes to fixies.

  • Should note that if the bike has a derailuer it has to be removed.
    – mattnz
    May 21, 2020 at 1:29
  • @mattnz do you think this was unclear? "You will not be able to use a rear derailleur without a free wheel"
    – bradly
    May 21, 2020 at 1:33
  • 3
    I could have worded it clearer - trying to clarify you must remove the deraileur. I can ride my 1x12 bike and not use the rear deraileur.
    – mattnz
    May 21, 2020 at 4:20
  • Good point. Thank you.
    – bradly
    May 21, 2020 at 6:11
  • 5
    @njzk2 - You can't use a rear derailer because when you back-pedal the spring will absorb all the motion and cause the chain to go slack and jump off the sprocket. May 21, 2020 at 12:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.