I bought this frame and have no idea what type of derailleur was on it. I have the back wheel and it has 8 gears. I feel this is a legitimate question and none of the other similar questions answered my question. Please don't close this question I really need help with this. Is there one I can use that is held on by the axle? The question that was identified as a duplicate did not show which type of hanger or where I could buy one.

enter image description here

Thanks, Paul

1 Answer 1


There is this type of adapter, which requires a screw to hold it in position. The screw in the adapter should be attached to a cam nut that syncs into the end of the dropout.

  • 1
    Any 8 speed derailleur should work with this type of adapter. I haven't looked for any links to similar questions, But you question seems legitimate to me, and if it wasn't answered well enough there should be no harm in the asking. I hope my answer was helpful.
    – bradly
    Jun 5, 2020 at 23:14
  • Yeah, that is probably what was on the bike. Jun 5, 2020 at 23:31
  • while any 8 speed derailleur will mount it needs to be compatible with the shifters you plan on using. Generally sShimano shifters with Shimano derailleurs, Sram and Sram
    – mikes
    Jun 6, 2020 at 19:09
  • Of course it's wise to check compatibility first, but there is some compatibility between brands.
    – bradly
    Jun 6, 2020 at 20:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.