What is the name of this part/mount/adapter that mounts an old school center pull brake to the top of a rear bridge? This is a 1970s MAFAC RAID on a LeJeune Tandem. I'm trying to find an adapter to mount a modern Tektro R559 Long Reach instead, thanks.

this part/mount/adapter

  • 1
    You might call it a "yoke", but I don't know what the manufacturer calls it. – Daniel R Hicks Jun 10 '20 at 18:27
  • Weinmann made an adapter, but they’re hard to find. Search for “Weinmann brake adapter”. Fashioning your own is probably cheaper if you’re handy. – Andrew Jun 11 '20 at 0:40

I'm about 95% sure that is a proprietary part for this frame, not a Mafac part. Mafac adapter plates exist for standard orientation holes.

It appears that at some point someone added a wood screw in place of a proper bolt. I imagine the original intention was for this to be installed with a concave washer hugging either side of the bridge.

For what it's worth, RAIDs are a vastly better brake than R559s. If you're in a situation where a framebuilder level solution is needed to address the weirdness of the original mounting, rounding of the hole, etc, there's little point in adapting it to a modern caliper and buying a whole other brake when you could just get centerpull direct pivots added. You've already got the Herse/Compass tires, why go halfway?

  • The R559 is a very long-reach caliper - I guess OP is converting from 630mm to 622mm rims and the old brakes non longer reach ? – Criggie Jun 10 '20 at 23:59

I wonder if frame builder could "fill in" that hole with braze, and then drill a new brake hole horizontally-ish for a more modern brake?

If there's not enough meat, or if the brake bridge is too high then the frame may need a replacement brake bridge brazed on in a more-conventional place slightly lower down.

A third option might be to rotate that "hook" bit and bolt it to the existing brake bridge from below, gaining you a few millimetres of reach. Do use a proper bolt, that screw is not the right fastener.

Most complex might be to engineer up a whole block that clamps and bolts through that vertical hole, and provides a new horizontal hole for the brake. Again this could lower the new brake closer to the wheel.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.