Received an old bike from a family member and I've tried to inflate the tires but whenever I attach the pump to the tire it seems that I can't inflate it. All I hear is a hissing and it feels like all the air is escaping out the back of the pump. Both the bike and the pump haven't been used in several years so it's possible one or both is broken. I believe the bike has Schrader valves and the pump works for any type of valve but I'm not completely sure. Does anyone know a way to test if either is broken or a way to make sure there is a good connection between the valve and pump? Thanks x
Even easier tests:
- hold your thumb over the end of the hose and pump. You should feel pressure build.
- visit your local bike shop - many of them have a self-service air pump somewhere outside for the convenience of customers.
- visit a bike repair stand in your city, if you have one
- visit a bike cooperative
- ask a fellow cyclist if they can loan you a pump because yours isn't working
- visit your local service station/gas station/petrol station. With care, you can use a car tyre inflater. It will only take a second so don't overdo it.