I can't seem to find what kind of bottom bracket I have on my bike and how to remove it to put some grease on/in it. My bike is a Schwinn Cadence 2006 mountain bike. enter image description here

Right side (crankset side) above enter image description here Left side above (with a bit of threading)

Any help would be very much appreciated ! Thanks.

1 Answer 1


This looks like a standard British bottom bracket with a fixed cup and adjustable cup.

This article gives a good overview of how to service. It looks like your lockring is missing. Also, it doesn't look like you'll be able to use a pin spanner on the adjustable cup. Not clear from the photo what kind of wrenching affordance the cup has, but it should have some kind of wrench flats, so possibly this kind of tool is what you need. Also note that the fixed cup can be extremely difficult to remove.

  • Thanks ! Exactly what I was looking for ! :)
    – user52038
    Jul 31, 2020 at 19:14
  • Additionally, if there is damage inside, consider replacing with a sealed BB cartridge. They're "sealed for life" and adjustment-free, so that makes riding better.
    – Criggie
    Jul 31, 2020 at 23:39
  • There should also be a left-hand threaded lockring in the second photo, which appears to be missing. That could be a reason for the bearing adjustment to have moved over time.
    – Criggie
    Jul 31, 2020 at 23:40
  • 2
    @Criggie The non-drive side of both BSA and ITA threaded BB cups is regular, including the lock-ring. Only the drive side of BSA is left-handed. Aug 1, 2020 at 9:16
  • @LamarLatrell fair point, I errored on the thread handedness. There is a lockring missing from the left side which could be the reason bearing adjustment has changes over time.
    – Criggie
    Aug 1, 2020 at 11:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy