I want to poke around online a bit and see if I can find anything out about it. It's a long cage, on an old 18 speed Univega MTB. Thanks. shimano derailleur

  • 1
    Look closely at it - there should be a code like "RD-xxxx" somewhere. That will describe it exactly.
    – Criggie
    Commented Aug 10, 2020 at 0:41
  • OK, I'll look again. Didn't find it earlier. Commented Aug 10, 2020 at 3:40
  • 2
    Shimano rear derailleur's have their model number stamped on the bottom of the parallelogram. Taking off the wheel can give you a better look at that area, which is the opposite side of that shown in your photo.
    – Jeff
    Commented Aug 10, 2020 at 10:07
  • en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimano#Mountain_groupsets will help narrow it down Commented Aug 10, 2020 at 10:51

2 Answers 2


I can't find the exact model, but it looks very similar to this one that I found on VeloBase. If you have the patience check out this list. Shimano starts around page 8. I suspect it might be a bottom of the range version of a Light Action, but I'm far from an expert


I think it might be this one. You're fortunate I stumbled across this question when I was in the mood for a bit of a treasure hunt :)

  • 2
    The problem here is that if the links die, there's no mention of what the derailleur is, it is better to make the answer work without needing to follow the link
    – Swifty
    Commented Aug 14, 2020 at 22:02

My guess is that it's RD-L541. And it's paired with a 6-speed cassette, which is consistent.

EDIT: I should have clicked on the link posted above. Looks we arrived at the same conclusion. So, I'll just post a picture.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.