I am moving to a country where I will not need spiked tires. Because of weight limit I cannot take both tires with me.
I was thinking of replacing one summer tire with one winter tire. I normally only cycle on tar.
Arguments for replacing the summer tire
- 10000km old / 3 years old
- 1cm long gash on side of tire due to piece of glass. Gash narrows to a small hole where the tube is visible. I put a boot on the inside.
- Winter tire only 2000km old / 10 months old and no gash
Arguments for not replacing the summer tire
- Summer tire still "looks good". Tread still looks deep. Tire not smooth. The blue of the inner layer is not showing.
- From experience with Schwalbe Marathon tires, gash is not a problem (this is the 3rd large gash on 3rd pair of Schwalbe tires)
- Concern: the holes for the spikes on the winter tire are prone to punctures ?
- Concern: the rubber of the winter tire is different than the summer tire rubber. The winter tire will wear off faster ?
- Concern: winter tire has more nobbles, i.e. the summer tire seems thicker
(Detail: Of course I also have a front winter tire. But the front winter tire has a large 2cm gash also caused by a piece of glas.)