After 300 km GX Eagle chain is at 0.5% wear which indicates to me I have to buy a new chain?
Is this normal? How to prevent it or advice for better chains?
I mostly drive MTB in the woods in Belgium in a dunes area. So a lot of very short and steep climbs and descents (think 50/100m). My gear ratio on a 34 tooth chainring is mostly on the 3 smallest and on climbs on the 3 biggest. I am running SRAM Eagle SX derailleur, with NX cassette and GX chain.
My bike gets washed almost every ride with me also cleaning the chain, cassette, sprockets and chainring from dirt. If I don't wash the bike it's because it's not dirty.
How I wash the drivetrain:
- use garden hose to sprinkle of the biggest dirt from chain
- clean chainring and sprockets with toothbrush
- clean cassette with larger brush
- use 2 nail brushes and let chain run in between
- use garden house to get remaining dirt of
- use an old rag and clean/dry chainring and sprockets
- use old rag and thoroughly rub chain back and forth to dry it.
- lube chain with a drop on each roller
- go through a few gear high and low to let lube sink in.
Lubing with is done with wet lube since there is a lot of rain lately.
Any advice on better more lasting chains or does somebody have a similar experience and a possible solution?