I am trying to assemble a bike for someone in my family. There are a few challenges. The first is my limited experience, the second is her wish-list, which includes using a 27.5" MTB frameset she already has, a limited budget, and a preference to not use a MTB-style suspension fork but a lighter-weight rigid fork.

The headtube expects a threadless tapered steerer, 1-1/2" to 1-1/8". With the limited budget, that leaves only a few choices: low-end all-carbon or an alloy steerer with carbon-blades. I have seen many low-end carbon forks on eBay, Amazon, and Alibaba, but the reviews are sprinkled with comments like "I had to take a dremel to the dropouts". So I would really prefer to get one with an alloy steerer from a "brand name" bike manufacturer. But they all seem to be straight 1-1/8" steerers, not tapered.

Is there such a thing as an adapter for a headset, whose bottom bearing assembly is a 1-1/2" to 1-1/8" adapter, something along the lines of this mockup:

headset adapter

  • 1
    Most higher end road bikes use tapered steerers nowadays too, so they shouldn’t be hard to find. They might be out of your budget though.
    – MaplePanda
    Dec 24, 2020 at 20:13
  • Found a CaneCreek 1-1/2 to 1-1/8 tapered headset and an adapter ring that fits over the 1-1/8 steerer, "unreducing" it to 1-1/2.
    – Tim
    Jan 1, 2021 at 19:00

1 Answer 1


Yes, many headsets made for it come with a crown race reducer. Cane Creek, FSA, Nukeproof and several other big names make them so that you can convert a tapered frame to accept a standard straight 1-1/8" fork. Just be sure to take note of what type of bearing/headset your frame uses whether it be external, zero stack or integrated.

You can also likely buy the crown race reducer separately to be used with your choice of headset. A google search for "reducer crown race" will net you the results you are looking for.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.