On my frame the internal routing "ports", the things that are screwed into the frame with a small hex-head screw, have ingress/egress holes large enough for cable housing to pass through it. Is there a variant of these screw-ins that has a cable-stop, so bare cable could be used? A bare cable would be easier to install and a handful of small cable donuts would keep things quiet. Do these things have a name?

  • 3
    Those ports are more or less unique to each manufacturer, so they would need to provide their own properly fitted adapter. I don't think you could find a one-size-fits-all adapter.
    – Adam Rice
    Feb 13, 2021 at 16:32

1 Answer 1


They aren't universal in any way. Depending on the bike/brand, there may be some out there that fit the same frame hole and do what you suggest in the case of a manufacturer trying to employ the tactic of re-using the same small parts, but that's not how it usually is.

Some frames are set up to allow a straight shot of cable like you suggest, but usually it would have that sort of housing stop if so. Running bare cables in a frame set up for continuous housing is generally not something that can work.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.