I need to buy replacement dust cap for the bottom bracket in the picture. Is it still available anywhere? Under what name can it be found?

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 1
    Please confirm, do you mean the thingie in the centre of your photo? That is not a pedal, that is a crank installed on an axle that runs through a bottom bracket fixed using a cotter pin. Apr 30, 2021 at 8:34
  • You might need to make one from something like acetyl/delrin by turning it on a lathe. I doubt such a thing is still available retail new.
    – Criggie
    Apr 30, 2021 at 8:59
  • I don't recall ever seeing a dust cap on a cottered crank. Apr 30, 2021 at 11:46
  • 2
    So you're looking for caps for the bottom bracket. Apr 30, 2021 at 18:56
  • 2
    Did you try a web search? Just searching for "crank dust cap" gets me many, many hits, the second one being eBay listing for the correct part.
    – ojs
    May 1, 2021 at 10:40

1 Answer 1


I highly doubt you would be able to find replacement for a bottom bracket dust cap on a bicycle which looks that old. The economics for such parts do not make sense in general.

Something you could do, however, is 3D print it. It is a fun little project to redesign a part in 3D. You can use something like SketchUp to do it. It will be a bit expensive though to have it printed (~tens of $), but you get to pick between different polymers.

FYI It is something I did to salvage a 1960s chest of drawers I have, where the plastic bits holding it together had become completely brittle.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.