Mixed Use Urban Commuter Bike
I am in need of a new bike primarily for commuting, but am a bit uncertain of which type to buy. I am willing to shell out up to £500ish as it will see daily use.
Issues and Considerations
I live in an urban area with several key features to bear in mind:
- Lots of bike theft (I hear Carrera's are the favourite)
- Lots of broken glass/drawing pins/caltrops
- Lots of hills
- Lots of cycle paths!
Another hybrid seems prudent for frequent commuting, but considering that I...
- Am not in peak physical condition (lard arse)
- Plan on making occasional shopping trips (lots of paniers)
- Will be constantly riding up and down hills
...any speed advantage a hybrid model provides might be under utilized.
I understand that front fork suspension on cheaper models is not always desirable either, particularly when cycling uphill.
I like this idea of converting an ebike in the future also, so flexibility would be desirable.
- Are the advantages of a hybrid bike (as alternative to Mountain a bike) wasted if I am carrying a lot of weight?
- Is fork suspension in this price mark/usage/terrain a bad investment? Or is it a good idea if I am carrying heavy loads?
- At this price point, is it all much of a muchness?