I purchased a brand new hybrid bike with mechanical disk brakes a few weeks ago
- I have ridden the bike for a few weeks without any issues on city streets with potholes and elevations from bridges
- I probably rode it for around 100 miles total
- Yesterday after 45 minutes of riding, the wheel completely and suddenly locked up on a city road. There were no bumps at this point
- I was not even touching the brakes. Luckily I was going very slowly - so I walked away with minor bruises
- After picking myself up, I noticed that front wheel was still completely locked up
- I saw that the front disk rotor was bent (pictures below). The bike was handling and braking perfectly fine before this point.
- I set the bike down gently on the side. When I tried to spin the front wheel, it just popped out of the frame. I was NOT applying any force and it just came straight off
- This is bike I was riding: https://www.rei.com/product/121596/co-op-cycles-cty-11-bike
Brakes: Tektro M300 mechanical disc
The leaves and debris on the photos are from sidewalk where I dragged the bike. The road where this happened was clean and did NOT have any debris or sticks
What could have caused this to happen without any warning? Was it an issue with the brakes or was the wheel not tightened correctly by the bike shop?
I am concerned why this happened and could it happen again.