I have a Shimano RSX 8 speed rear derailleur and on a 20year old bike. It starts to play up and I would like to replace it. Since the RSX-Series is not produced any more, I was wondering with which model I could replace my old derailleur? Thanks everybody!

  • 1
    You might want to go to your local bike shop and see what they have in their bins. Oct 15, 2021 at 23:47
  • 1
    Are you sure the derailleur is the problem? Usually derailleurs will last a long time (if they don’t get smashed and bent). It’s the cables and cable housing which need occasional replacement.
    – Michael
    Oct 16, 2021 at 8:25

1 Answer 1


There's a number that would work. The first thing is to determine whether it's long or short cage (GS vs SS respectively in Shimano parlance). If you want something currently made that's a decent replacement of around the same quality, the Sora RD-R3000-SS or -GS is closest. It's nominally 9-speed but will work. For cheaper the current Claris R2000 will also work. If you wanted to get something nice for a bike you want to keep going indefinitely, RD-5701 would be good and is still made.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.