I am currently in the process of building a new road bike and I want to preserve the nice look of my new hydraulic Shimano Ultegra brake calipers. Normally I'd just coat the the area I want to preserve with a good ceramic coating and/or wax after polishing out any imperfections but since it is a part of the braking system I am unsure if that would impede braking performance or be outright dangerous. I already know that brake pads and rotors near any wax or coating are a no go so the current process I thought about would be:
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove Brake Pads.
- Clean Caliper.
- Polish out any imperfections.
- Coat with a ceramic coating and let it cure.
- (optional) put wax on top of the coating.
- Wait until everyhting is properly cured (24h or similar)
- Put everything back together.
Would that process be okay to do or would that degrade the braking performance/be dangerous?