I am trying to refurbish an old trekking bike from the early/mid 1990s. Current components of 3x7 drivetrain are as follows:
- crank: Shimano Exage FC-M320 46-36-26
- chain: unknown
- cassette: 7-speed 28-11 Shimano (specific model unknown)
- rear derailleur: Shimano Altus (silvery cage, max. 28T, specific model unknown)
- front derailleur: unknown (Shimano-like model)
- shifters/triggers: Shimano Twist Shifters (specific model unknown)
As component availability is problematic (due to the pandemic and the older 3x7 speed components), I am considering mixing SRAM and Shimano components. SRAM cassettes are generally considered being compatible with the Shimano ones. However, this does not seem to apply for the older 7-speed models. Therefore, I decided to use a Shimano CS-HG41 cassette instead of changing the complete rear wheel hub to a more modern one.
As the rear derailleur should be replaced as well and I want to transition from twist shifters to "finger shifters" (like the more modern ones), I looked for suitable Shimano 3x7 shifters which do not seem to be rarely available. SRAM ones seem to have a better availability and I decided to go with either the X.3 or the X.4 models. In addition, a X.3 or X.4 rear derailleur is also available. Unfortunately, no 3 speed SRAM cranks seem to be available and I would either keep my old Exage FC-M320 or go with an Acera FC-M361.
There does not seem to be many information about the SRAM/Shimano compatibility for these rather old 3x7 setups available online and I was not able to clarify the component compatibility completely. I tried to get some hints from my local bike mechanic who was not sure as well and suggested to stay within one manufacturer (either Shimano or SRAM). However, this does not seem to be possible due to parts availability.
Would the following parts be compatible with each other?
- crank: existing Shimano Exage FC-M320 46-36-26 or new part Acera FC-M361 42-32-22
- chain: Shimano CN-HG40
- cassette: Shimano CS-HG41 28-11
- rear derailleur: SRAM X.3 7-speed
- shifters/triggers: SRAM X.3 3x7
Does anyone have compatibility information about these older 3x7 setups?