I have spares of 700x25C tube for my old bike. I bought a new hybrid bike. Can I use them for my new bike with tyre size 700x35C?

  • Keep those spares on your old bike, and get new spares for the new bike.
    – Criggie
    Commented Jun 13, 2022 at 1:48

1 Answer 1


What does the tube’s packaging say?

Usually they are specified to work for a relatively wide range of widths. It will says something like “18-622 to 25-622”.

A few percent above the spec usually works fine (e.g. using a 25mm width tube in a 28mm wide tyre). But if 25mm is the maximum for your tube then a 35mm tyre is probably way too wide and the tube is going to explode during the first full inflation.

  • 1
    Also consider the valve type (therefore its width) and possibly the valve length may be a factor with longer being okay, and shorter possibly not extending beyond the rim
    – Criggie
    Commented Jun 11, 2022 at 9:26
  • Maybe not explode straight away, but will be very fragile due to being very stretched. Commented Jun 12, 2022 at 20:17
  • @VladimirFГероямслава: I’ve been using Schwalbe SV20 tubes (extralight, 18–25mm width) with 28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons for quite some time. I had one sudden failure on a really hot summer day in bright daylight which could be related to using them out of spec.
    – Michael
    Commented Jun 13, 2022 at 5:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.