On my MTB: This cage like thing covering the rear derailleur was loose and was making a lot of noise when I was riding. I removed it temporarily and it seems fine to do so. Am I correct?

What is the technical name of this component and why is it present?

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


It's known as a derailleur guard. It is designed to protect your derailleur against side impacts that may damage it.

It's not a problem to remove it, i've never had one myself, nor do I know anyone that has had one and our derailleurs are all still fine.

It's probably a handy thing to have if you are parking your bike in large communal bike shelters where other users are perhaps not as careful as they could be.

  • it is one of those things that are hard to search for when you don't know the name. now that I know it is a derailleur guard, I see a lot of material. thanks!
    – deepakkt
    Jun 11 at 13:38
  • 1
    Additionally, it protects against side impacts from dropping the bike right-side down on the ground. Protection extends to the hanger as well as the mech.
    – Criggie
    Jun 12 at 19:23
  • 1
    It will protect your derailleur and its hanger but at the cost of endangering the frame. Jun 12 at 20:16
  • 1
    @VladimirFГероямслава are you sure? I think it would need to be a very fragile frame and a very solid guard.
    – pateksan
    Jun 12 at 22:09
  • My experience is they are build soft, more often than not, the protector bends and jams the derailleur, has to be removed and is never replaced. However, I have seen a couple of cases where removing a bent protector would have been a better outcome for the rider - car rack and bicycle stand, not riding inflicted damage.
    – mattnz
    Jun 13 at 23:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.