What's the name of this part that holds the fender on? (the back piece between that the rod from the fender is going through)

Rear Derailleur area

I've lost one but for the life of me can't seem to find what to search for.

  • 2
    also, the rod is called the fender stay
    – Weiwen Ng
    Apr 13, 2023 at 1:25
  • 2
    Relevant link to terminology index (just added): bicycles.stackexchange.com/a/88321/6852 Apr 13, 2023 at 16:40
  • The piece that holds the fender on in the attached picture is called a fender strut or fender brace, not a Rod. It's a metal bar that attaches to the fender and the frame of the bike to provide support and stability to the fender. Apr 15, 2023 at 20:59

1 Answer 1


A while ago I bought fenders from Velo Orangeno affiliation and on the product page of their fenders they write:

Hardware kit includes: 5mm polished aluminum stays, R-clips and screws, L bracket...

enter image description here

So to widen your search you can also look for "fender R-clip" in addition to "P clip"

Do note that not all P/R-clips are meant for the same fender stay diameter. Velo Orange uses 5mm stays for example, but other brands (e.g. Honjo) might use 4 mm. Best is to measure your stay diameter to select the correct clips.

The name "R Clip" or "P Clip" because they are shaped like an R or P when viewed from the side.

You may get away with a folded-over piece of metal, as long as it clamps down on the mudguard's stay.

Do consider adding thread locker - there's probably insufficient space for a locknut on the rear without hitting the chain.

enter image description here

  • 1
    It's worth noting that the VO struts are on the larger side in thickness. Honjo has the same thing in both 4mm and 5mm variants. Apr 15, 2023 at 18:51
  • 1
    @NathanKnutson thanks for the addition, I didn't know. I have incorporated it in the answer. Apr 15, 2023 at 18:59
  • I never knew there was such a thing as an R clip - makes sense to distinguish between something firmly clamping down on the shaft (we want this) vs something to just wrap-around and hold the item like a cable.
    – Criggie
    Apr 15, 2023 at 23:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.