I want to replace my bottom bracket, but I have no idea what kind of tool to use.

enter image description here

What kind of bottom bracket is this? What tool do I need to change it?

  • 2
    What kinda bike is this ? This is a left-side videw, with the FD visible on the other side, and NUVO is a kickstand, but the angles are unusual. Is it a cargo bike ?
    – Criggie
    Apr 17, 2023 at 19:28
  • Note that the tools will likely cost as much as the BB itself, and you will use them once a decade, if ever again. In this case, paying your local bike shop may be a better option. Apr 19, 2023 at 5:50

2 Answers 2


You have a traditional cup and cone BB. You need a lockring wrench to undo the locknut, such as ParkTool HCW-5, but many other exist. Then you will need a bottom bracket wrench, such as HCW-4, to get the bottom bracket out.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Photos from the Parktool marketing materials.

There are tutorials available, such as https://www.restoration.bike/bike-maintenance/old-style-bottom-bracket/


Many replacement bottom brackets are available to replace a traditional bottom bracket design. These will require a different tool(s) to install them than the tools you will need to remove the traditional bottom bracket (listed in different answer).

The specific tool(s) needed will be dictated once you determine the replacement bottom bracket you will use - the required tool(s) match the specific bottom bracket used.

If you are just doing maintenance on your current bottom bracket and plan to reinstall it, then the tools listed in the other answer are all that you will need. The same would be true if you were able to procure a new traditional-style bottom bracket to replace the current one.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.